Last Updated on February 17, 2024 by Shari Mason
Are you in search of a mac and cheese dish that is as tasty and smooth as it is wholesome and nutritious? Your search ends with the renowned mac and cheese recipe from Whole Foods Market.
This crowd-pleasing dish is made with wholesome ingredients, including whole wheat elbow macaroni, organic cheddar cheese, and a flavorful combination of spices and seasonings.
Whether hosting a family gathering or simply craving comfort food, this dish will satisfy your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied and nourished.
So grab your apron and get ready to whip up a batch of this delicious and wholesome Whole Foods mac and cheese recipe.
What Are The Ingredients For Whole Foods’ Mac & Cheese Recipe?
- 1 lb. whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 cups organic cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups organic milk
- 4 tbsp. organic unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
How Do You Cook The Macaroni?
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil on the stove.
- Add 1 pound of whole wheat elbow macaroni  to the boiling water and stir to prevent the pasta from sticking together.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions until it is al dente, which usually takes 8-10 minutes.
- Once the macaroni is cooked, drain it in a colander and rinse it under cold water to stop cooking and cool it down.
- Set the cooked macaroni aside until it is ready to be mixed with the cheese sauce.
How Do You Make The Cheese Sauce?
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of organic unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour to the melted butter and whisk until smooth.
- Cook the butter-flour mixture for about 2 minutes, constantly whisking, until it turns into a thick paste.
- Gradually whisk in 2 cups of organic milk, making sure to whisk constantly to avoid lumps.
- Add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper to the milk mixture.
- Bring the milk mixture to a simmer and cook until it thickens, stirring occasionally. This should take around 5-7 minutes.
- Once the milk mixture has thickened, add 2 cups of organic cheddar cheese to the pan and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Remove the cheese sauce from the heat and set it aside until it is ready to be mixed with the cooked macaroni.
“I cannot turn down macaroni and cheese, even late at night. I love Italian food. I love pasta… A refrigerator full of water and Gatorade? Honey, that’s just not gonna happen.”– Queen Latifah, American Rapper
Tips & Tricks To Make The Perfect Mac & Cheese
- Use high-quality ingredients: Start with organic ingredients, such as whole wheat elbow macaroni and organic cheddar cheese. This will give your mac and cheese a delicious and wholesome flavor.
- Cook the pasta just right: Until it is al dente, meaning it’s still slightly firm to the bite. This will ensure the pasta is smooth when baked in the oven with the cheese sauce.
- Add seasoning to the cheese sauce: To make the cheese sauce more flavorful, add seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, and dry mustard. This will enhance the taste of the cheese and make the dish more interesting.
- Use a variety of cheeses: You can experiment with different types of cheese to give your mac and cheese more depth of flavor. Add Gouda, Parmesan , or blue cheese to your cheddar cheese sauce for a more complex flavor profile.
- Bake the mac and cheese: Baking it in the oven gives it a crispy golden crust. To do this, transfer the mac and cheese to a baking dish, sprinkle with some breadcrumbs or extra cheese, and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350°F.
- Add toppings: To add some extra texture and flavor to your mac and cheese, consider adding toppings like bacon bits, chopped scallions, or toasted breadcrumbs.
- Don’t overheat the cheese sauce: Overheating the cheese sauce can cause it to become grainy and unappetizing. Be sure to heat the sauce slowly over medium heat, constantly stirring until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately: Mac and cheese are best served hot and fresh out of the oven. Serve it immediately and enjoy the gooey, cheesy goodness.
Serving Suggestions For Mac & Cheese
- Top it with breadcrumbs: Before baking the mac and cheese, sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top to give it a crispy and crunchy texture.
- Add vegetables: Mix in steamed broccoli, sautéed mushrooms, or roasted cherry tomatoes to add flavor and nutrition to your mac and cheese.
- Serve with salad: Serve your mac and cheese with a side salad to balance the dish’s richness. A simple green salad with vinaigrette dressing is a great option.
- Pair with soup: Mac and cheese goes great with soup, such as tomato or vegetable. It’s a comforting and satisfying meal on a chilly day.
- Add protein: Mix in some cooked chicken, crumbled bacon, or sliced sausage to make the mac and cheese a complete meal.
- Make it a burger topping: Use the mac and cheese as a topping for a burger or a grilled cheese sandwich for a decadent and delicious twist.
- Add hot sauce: Add a few drops to your mac and cheese for an extra kick. It will give it a spicy and tangy flavor.
- Serve with crusty bread: Serve the mac and cheese with a side of crusty bread to mop up all the delicious sauce.
u003cstrongu003eWhat cheese is best for mac and cheese?u003c/strongu003e
Cheddar cheese is the most popular and classic cheese for mac and cheese.
u003cstrongu003eWhy use whole milk in mac and cheese?u003c/strongu003e
Whole milk is often used in mac and cheese because it has a higher fat content than low-fat milk, which creates a richer and creamier cheese sauce. u003cbru003eu003cbru003eThe higher fat content also helps to prevent the cheese from breaking or becoming grainy when melted.
Whole Foods Mac & Cheese Recipe is a crowd-pleasing dish that combines wholesome ingredients with a deliciously creamy and cheesy flavor.
This recipe is not only easy to make, but it also uses organic and whole-food ingredients that provide added nutritional value.
Following the simple steps outlined in this article, you can make your homemade version of this famous dish that will surely be a hit at your next gathering or family dinner.
- How to Thicken Instant Mashed Potatoes: Quick Fixes - February 19, 2024
- Which Country Eats the Most Brussels Sprouts? Surprising Stats - February 19, 2024
- How to Fix Salty Mashed Potatoes: Rescuing Spuds - February 19, 2024