Last Updated on March 31, 2023 by Shari Mason
Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza is a fan-favorite menu item that features two crispy tortillas filled with seasoned beef, beans, cheese, and a signature sauce.
Many people wonder what Mexican pizza sauce is made of and what gives it its unique flavor. So what is Taco Bell Mexican pizza sauce made of?
Whether you’re a die-hard fan of Mexican Pizza or just curious about its secret sauce, read on to learn more.
What Is Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza Sauce Made Of?
Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza sauce blends savory and spicy flavors, including tomato paste, water, vinegar, spices, and natural flavors.
The specific recipe for the sauce is a closely guarded secret, but some of the ingredients are listed on Taco Bell’s website.
The sauce is known for its bold and zesty taste, which comes from a combination of spices and seasonings such as cumin , chili powder, and paprika.
The sauce also contains a hint of smokiness, which adds depth to the overall flavor profile.
While the recipe for Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza sauce is a secret, you can try to replicate the flavor at home using a combination of spices and seasonings such as cumin, chili powder, and paprika.
What Gives The Sauce Its Distinctive Flavor?
Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza sauce is known for its bold and zesty flavor. The sauce gets its unique taste from combining spices and seasonings such as cumin, chili powder, and paprika.
“I have definitely had guys walk up to me, put their arm around me, and when they walk away, my shoulder smells like taco meat.”– Trixie Mattel, Drag Queen
These spices add a savory and slightly spicy flavor to the sauce. Additionally, the sauce contains a hint of smokiness, which comes from either liquid smoke or smoked paprika .
Can You Buy Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza Sauce At The Store?
Unfortunately, Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza sauce is unavailable in stores. The exact recipe for the sauce is a closely guarded secret, and Taco Bell has not released it for commercial sale.
While you can’t buy the sauce at the store, there are several recipes available online that claim to replicate the sauce’s flavor.
These recipes typically use a combination of ingredients such as tomato sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin to mimic the taste of the original sauce.
You can make your version of the Mexican Pizza sauce at home with some experimentation.
Tips For Recreating Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza Sauce
- Use a blend of spices: The sauce on the Mexican Pizza gets its unique taste from a combination of spices such as cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Experiment with different ratios of these spices until you find the perfect balance of flavors for your taste.
- Add some smokiness: The sauce on the Mexican Pizza also has a subtle smoky flavor. You can add this flavor using a pinch of smoked paprika or a few drops of liquid smoke.
- Use tomato paste: The base of the sauce is tomato paste, which gives it a thick and rich texture. You can adjust the thickness of the sauce by adding water or broth as needed.
- Try a recipe: Many online recipes claim to replicate the flavor of Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza sauce. Try a few of these recipes and adjust the ingredients to your liking.
- Be patient: The key to a good sauce is allowing the flavors to meld together. Give the sauce time to simmer and develop its flavor before using it on your pizza.
Other Taco Bell Menu Items That Use Similar Sauce
- Cheesy Gordita Crunch: This menu item features a soft, warm gordita shell filled with seasoned beef, lettuce, cheese, and Mexican Pizza sauce.
- Crunchwrap Supreme: The Crunchwrap Supreme is a flour tortilla filled with seasoned beef, nacho cheese sauce, lettuce, tomato, and Mexican Pizza sauce.
- Quesadilla: Taco Bell’s Quesadilla features a grilled flour tortilla filled with seasoned chicken, a three-cheese blend, and creamy jalapeño sauce (similar in flavor to the Mexican Pizza sauce).
- Spicy Tostada: The Spicy Tostada is a flat corn tortilla topped with refried beans, lettuce, shredded cheese, and Mexican Pizza sauce.
What sauce is most popular at Taco Bell?
One of the most popular sauces at Taco Bell is their Fire Sauce, which is a spicy and tangy sauce made with a blend of chili peppers, vinegar, and garlic.
Another famous sauce is the Mild sauce, which has a milder flavor profile and is made with a blend of tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
These sauces are available for customers to add to their menu items or purchase in bottles at some Taco Bell locations.
Did Taco Bell change the sauce on the Mexican Pizza?
Yes, Taco Bell changed the sauce on the Mexican Pizza in 2020. The previous sauce contained partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, which were removed due to concerns over trans fats.
The new sauce contains a similar blend of spices and seasonings but with a different oil base. Despite the change, fans of Mexican Pizza have noted that the new sauce still has a similar taste and flavor profile to the original sauce.
Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza sauce is a delicious and unique blend of spices and seasonings that gives the pizza its signature bold and zesty taste.
The sauce contains tomato paste, water, vinegar, spices, natural flavors, and a hint of smokiness that adds depth to the overall flavor profile.
While the exact recipe for the sauce is a closely guarded secret, several tips and recipes are available online for recreating a similar flavor at home.
Additionally, the sauce is used in several other popular menu items at Taco Bell, such as the Cheesy Gordita Crunch and Crunchwrap Supreme.
- Jose Peppers Salsa Recipe & Guide (2023 Updated) - June 3, 2023
- Big Mac vs Quarter Pounder: Which is Better? (2023 Updated) - June 3, 2023
- Deep Dish vs Pan Pizza: What’s the Difference? (2023 Guide) - June 3, 2023