Last Updated on April 25, 2023 by Shari Mason
Stouffer’s Macaroni and Beef is a classic comfort food dish that has been a popular frozen dinner option for many years.
This dish combines seasoned ground beef with elbow macaroni and a rich tomato sauce; all topped off with a layer of melted cheddar cheese.
While the convenience of a frozen dinner is hard to beat, making Stouffer’s Macaroni and Beef from scratch can be just as easy and delicious.
We will explore how to make one in this Stouffer’s Macaroni and Beef recipe guide.
Recipe For Stouffer’s Macaroni & Beef
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic until beef is browned and onion is softened.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil , oregano, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Add elbow macaroni and water to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover the skillet. Let the mixture simmer for about 15 minutes, occasionally stirring, until the macaroni is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Transfer the macaroni and beef mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot, and enjoy.
Tips & Tricks To Make The Perfect Recipe
- Brown the beef well: Brown it nicely when cooking the ground beef. This will add flavor to the dish and help remove excess moisture.
- Use fresh garlic and onion: Using fresh garlic and onion will add a depth of flavor to the dish. Avoid using dried or powdered garlic and onion, as they may not have the same flavor intensity.
- Use diced tomatoes: Stouffer’s Macaroni & Beef recipe calls for diced tomatoes, which add a slightly chunky texture to the dish. Be sure to drain the tomatoes well before adding them to the skillet.
- Season well: The dish gets its flavor from the seasoning, so season it well with basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. For additional flavor, you can also add other seasonings like chili powder, cumin, or paprika.
- Simmer the macaroni: Once added to the skillet, let it simmer for at least 15 minutes. This will ensure that the macaroni is fully cooked and has absorbed the flavors of the sauce.
- Use a baking dish: To finish the dish, transfer the macaroni and beef mixture to a baking dish and top it with shredded cheddar cheese. This will give it a golden, crispy top layer that is sure to please.
Serving Suggestions For Stouffer’s Macaroni & Beef
- Salad: Stouffer’s Macaroni & Beef is a hearty and filling dish, so pairing it with a light and refreshing salad can help balance the meal. Try a simple side salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and a vinaigrette dressing.
- Garlic bread: Garlic bread  is a classic accompaniment to pasta dishes, and Stouffer’s Macaroni & Beef is no exception. You can make your garlic bread by toasting slices of bread and then rubbing them with garlic and butter.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables like broccoli, carrots, and zucchini can add color and nutrition to your plate. Toss the vegetables with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them in the oven until tender.
- Breadsticks: Breadsticks are another classic side dish for pasta. You can make your breadsticks or buy them pre-made from the store.
- Wine: Stouffer’s Macaroni & Beef pairs well with various wines, such as a red Zinfandel or a Cabernet Sauvignon. If you prefer white wine, try a Chardonnay or a Pinot Grigio.
Can You Freeze Stouffer’s Macaroni & Beef?
Yes, Stouffer’s Macaroni & Beef can be frozen. To freeze it, allow it to cool to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container or a freezer-safe zip-top bag. Label and date the container or bag, and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
“My favorite food is macaroni and cheese that my grandma makes. My favorite drink has to be Vita Coco coconut water.”– Sloane Stephens, American Tennis Player
To reheat the frozen Stouffer’s Macaroni & Beef:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Remove the macaroni and beef from the freezer and transfer them to a baking dish.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until heated.
Alternatively, you can reheat the macaroni and beef in the microwave or stovetop. Just be sure to stir it occasionally to ensure even heating.
Does Stouffers have MSG?
Some Stouffer’s products may contain monosodium glutamate (MSG) as an ingredient.
The presence of MSG in a Stouffer’s product will be listed on the ingredients label on the packaging, as it is required by law to be disclosed.
If you are concerned about consuming MSG or have a sensitivity or allergy to it, check the ingredients label before purchasing or consuming any Stouffer’s product.
Is Stouffers pre-cooked?
Most of Stouffer’s products are pre-cooked and only require heating before serving.
Stouffer’s Macaroni and Beef is a classic comfort food that is easy to make and satisfying.
Following the recipe and incorporating some tips and tricks, you can make a delicious and flavorful dish that the whole family will enjoy.
Whether you serve it with a side salad, garlic bread, or roasted vegetables, Stouffer’s Macaroni and Beef is a versatile dish with various sides and drinks.
And if you have leftovers, you can quickly freeze and reheat the dish for a quick and easy meal later.
- Do You Have to Boil Sweet Potatoes Before Baking? Answered - September 19, 2023
- Can You Reuse Pasta Sauce Jars for Canning? Safety Tips - September 19, 2023
- Can You Cook Steak in Coconut Oil? Culinary Techniques (2023) - September 19, 2023