Last Updated on July 16, 2023 by Shari Mason
I personally think that cooking salmon on a Traeger is a great way to enjoy a delicious meal and impress your friends and family.
Traeger grills offer a unique way to cook your food, as they use indirect heat and smoke to infuse your food with a delicious, smoky flavor.
In this guide, I will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to cook salmon on a Traeger and some tips and tricks for perfecting the process.
Instructions For Cooking Salmon On A Traeger Grill
- Preheat your Traeger Grill to 400°F.
- Rinse the salmon fillets under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the salmon fillets on a shallow baking dish and brush them lightly with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the salmon with your favorite seasoning blend.
- Place the salmon fillets on the preheated Traeger Grill grates.
- Close the lid and let the salmon cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Flip the salmon and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the salmon with an instant-read thermometer. The salmon is cooked when it reaches 145°F.
- Remove the cooked salmon from the Traeger Grill and let it rest for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy.
Tips & Tricks For Cooking On A Traeger Grill
- Preheat your Traeger to the desired temperature before adding food.
- Use a food thermometer to test the internal temperature of your food to ensure it is cooked to the desired doneness.
- Use a high-quality cooking oil such as avocado or coconut oil to help prevent sticking.
- For best results, use wood pellets made specifically for Traeger grills.
- Use a spray bottle of water to help control flare-ups.
- Keep the lid closed whenever possible to maintain even cooking temperatures.
- Consider using a Traeger BBQ rub or spice blend to add flavor to your food.
- Use indirect heat for larger cuts of meat like roasts and briskets.
- Use direct heat for smaller cuts of meat like burgers and steaks.
- Allow the food to rest for several minutes after cooking to ensure even heat distribution.
Read: What Does Salmon Taste Like?
How Long To Cook Salmon On Traeger?
Generally, for a 4-8oz filet, a cooking time of about 10-15 minutes at 350°F should be sufficient to achieve a medium-rare internal temperature.
Cooking salmon on a Traeger grill  is a great way to achieve a flavorful and moist filet. The cooking time can vary depending on the size of the salmon filet.
“In a pine tree behind me, an eagle waits out the rain, hunched into himself, brooding. Crows squabble, a murder chasing a raven. Seals cruise the lines of fishing nets bobbing in the water, hoping for an easy meal, the tender bellies of salmon.”– Eden Robinson, Canadian Author
You can increase the cooking time to 15-20 minutes if you prefer a cooked-through salmon.
Is It Better To Grill Salmon In Foil Or Not?
Grilling salmon in foil is a great way to ensure that the delicate fish stays moist and flavorful. The foil helps to hold in the moisture and steam the salmon while creating a barrier between the fish and the grill’s direct heat.
This method also helps to keep the fish from sticking to the grill, making it easier to flip and remove.
Additionally, the foil helps to contain any spices or flavorings you may have added, giving the fish a more intense flavor.
Do You Grill Salmon With Lid Open Or Closed?
When grilling salmon, it is important to keep the lid open. This will allow for even heat distribution and prevent the salmon from steaming instead of grilling, which can cause it to become overcooked.
In addition, keeping the lid open will allow you to monitor the salmon more closely and adjust the heat accordingly to prevent it from burning.
Do You Flip Salmon On The Grill?
When grilling salmon , it is best to flip it just once to prevent it from sticking to the grill and breaking apart.
To do this, place the salmon skin-side down on the preheated grill and leave it for 4-5 minutes until it gets crispy.
“Unlock the secret to sensational salmon by embracing the smoky embrace of a Traeger grill. Let the delicate flavors dance amidst the sizzling wood-fired symphony, creating a culinary masterpiece that will make your taste buds sing with delight.”Eat Pallet Restaurant & Food Advice
Then, carefully flip the salmon over and cook for 3-4 minutes until it is cooked. Be careful not to overcook the salmon, as it will become dry and tough.
Why is my Traeger salmon blackened?
Many things could cause this, but the most common cause is overcooking.
If the salmon is cooked at too high of a temperature or too long, it can become blackened. If the salmon is exposed to too much smoke, it can also become blackened.
Can you use cedar planks for salmon on Traeger?
Yes, you can use cedar planks for salmon on a Traeger grill.
Just be sure to soak the planks in water for at least an hour before using them. This will help prevent the planks from burning and ensure that the salmon cooks evenly.
Cooking salmon on a Traeger is an easy and delicious way to prepare the fish. It is a great way to get a perfectly cooked, tender, and juicy piece of salmon without much effort.
The smoky flavor of the Traeger adds an extra layer of deliciousness that you can’t get with other cooking methods.
With a few simple steps, you can have a perfectly cooked salmon that is sure to impress.
- How to Dehydrate Green Beans: Preserve Your Beans the Right Way - December 5, 2023
- How to Reheat Green Bean Casserole: Complete Guide - December 5, 2023
- How to Make Frozen Green Beans Taste Good: Flavorful Tips - December 5, 2023