Last Updated on May 25, 2023 by Shari Mason
Are you a fan of cooking bacon in a cast iron skillet? If so, you know that cleaning your cast iron skillet can be challenging after cooking.
While it may take some extra effort and care, cleaning your cast iron skillet after each use is important to ensure that it stays in good condition.
We will provide step-by-step instructions on how to clean cast iron after cooking bacon.
With these tips, your cast iron skillet will stay in optimal condition, and you can enjoy bacon in your skillet again and again.
Step By Step Guide On How To Clean Cast Iron After Cooking Bacon
- Let the cast iron cool down. Please do not attempt to clean it while it is still hot.
- Scrape any excess bacon grease and bits with a wooden spoon or spatula. Add a small amount of hot water to the surface of the skillet.
- Use a scrub brush to remove any stubborn bits of bacon.
- Rinse the surface of the skillet with hot water.
- Dry the skillet thoroughly with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Rub a small amount of vegetable oil onto the surface of the skillet.
- Place the skillet on low heat for a few minutes to help the oil absorb into the surface. Wipe off any excess oil with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Store the skillet in a dry, dark place.
Read: How To Clean Nespresso Machine With Vinegar?
How To Clean Cast Iron Rust
Cleaning rust off of cast iron is an easy process that can be done with a few common household items.
First, you must scrub the rust with a wire brush or steel wool. Next, you will need to soak the cast iron in a solution of one part vinegar to one part water for at least one hour.
After an hour, scrub the rust off with the wire brush or steel wool again.
Finally, dry the cast iron with a clean cloth and rub it with vegetable oil or cooking oil to prevent future rusting.
Find out how to clean a le creuset grill pan here.
Can You Dry Cast Iron In An Oven?
Yes, you can dry cast iron in an oven. This is a great way to ensure that any moisture left on the cookware’s surface is removed before use.
To do this, preheat your oven to the lowest temperature setting. Place the cast iron  on the middle oven rack and allow it to dry for about 45 minutes.
“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”— Doug Larson, Columnist
Be sure to keep an eye on it, as cast iron is prone to rust when exposed to high heat. Once the cast iron is dry, it can be used as normal.
Read: How To Clean A Marble Mortar And Pestle?
How To Season Cast Iron Skillet
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rub a thin layer of vegetable oil over the surface of the skillet.
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil on the lower rack of the oven to catch any oil drippings. Place the skillet upside down on the top rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Please turn off the oven and let the skillet cool before removing it.
- Wipe off any excess oil with a paper towel.
- Store the skillet in a dry place with a lid or cover.
Read: How To Dispose Of Hamburger Grease?
Do You Need To Clean Cast Iron After Cooking Bacon?
Yes, it would help if you cleaned cast iron after cooking bacon. Once the bacon is cooked, it is important to remove the excess grease and oil left behind.
This can be done by wiping the pan with a paper towel or using a small amount of soapy water and a scrub brush to remove any stubborn bits.
It is important to dry the cast iron thoroughly to prevent rusting and to season it with oil before storing it.
Read: How To Get Fish Smell Out Of Cast Iron?
Tips On How To Care For Your Cast Iron
- Preheat your skillet slowly: Heat it gradually over medium heat and wait until it is fully heated before adding oil or food.
- Use oil or fat when cooking: Use oil or fat (such as bacon grease or lard) to coat the skillet before adding food. This will help create a non-stick surface and prevent sticking.
- Clean your skillet properly: After cooking, allow it to cool, and then use a stiff brush and hot water to scrub it. Avoid using soap, as this can strip away the seasoning.
- Avoid high heat: Avoid using high heat when cooking with your skillet, as this can cause the metal to warp and crack.
- Season your skillet: After cleaning, apply a light coat of vegetable oil and bake in the oven at 350°F for one hour. This will help create a non-stick surface and prevent rust.
- Store your skillet correctly: After it is fully dry, store it in a dry place. Cover the skillet with a lid or layer of paper towels to prevent rust.
How do you start cooking in a cast iron skillet?
To start cooking in a cast iron skillet, season the skillet. You can do this by heating the skillet and rubbing it with a thin layer of vegetable oil.
Once the skillet is seasoned, you can start cooking anything from fried eggs to steak.
Do you wipe down cast iron?
Yes, you can wipe down cast iron with a damp cloth. Seasoning the pan after each use is also important to prevent rust and maintain a non-stick surface.
How do you clean dried bacon grease?
The best way to clean dried bacon grease is to use a solution of warm water, liquid dish soap, and baking soda.
Start by mixing one tablespoon of dish soap and 1/4 cup of baking soda in a bowl of warm water.
Then dip a clean cloth or sponge into the mixture and use it to scrub away the dried bacon grease. Rinse the cloth or sponge after each scrubbing and repeat the process until the grease is removed.
Is it OK to cook bacon in a cast iron skillet?
Yes. It is alright to cook bacon  in a cast iron skillet. You don’t have to use non-stick pans for cooking bacon since bacon naturally releases fat to create a slippery coating. This allows the bacon to easily slide around.
Cleaning cast iron after cooking bacon doesn’t have to be difficult.
With the right cleaning supplies, technique, and care, you can easily have your cast iron looking and feeling like new in no time.
Season with oil afterward to form a protective layer and keep your cast iron in top condition.
- Are Chick-Fil-A Grilled Nuggets Healthy? Resolved (2023) - May 28, 2023
- Are Xxtra Hot Cheetos Discontinued? Answered (2023) - May 28, 2023
- Why Are Wheat Thins Banned In Other Countries? Resolved - May 28, 2023