Last Updated on December 31, 2022 by Shari Mason
Fresh lime juice is an incredibly popular and versatile ingredient in many dishes and drinks. Its tart, sour taste adds a unique zing that can enhance a variety of recipes.
But if you’re wondering how long fresh lime juice can last, you’ve come to the right place.
Our team will explore the shelf life of lime juice and how to best store it to make it last as long as possible.
How Long Is Fresh Lime Juice Good For?
Lime juice can last up to 24 hours in the refrigerator when stored properly. It is important to store the juice in an air-tight container and to keep it away from direct sunlight.
Fresh lime juice is an excellent addition to various dishes, drinks, and sauces. Unfortunately, it doesn’t last forever.
Knowing how long lime juice is good is important to ensure that you use the freshest juice for your recipes.
Additionally, if you are using bottled lime juice, it is important to check the expiration date on the container. If the juice is past its expiration date, it is best to discard it and buy a fresh bottle.
It is also important to note that lime juice can start to darken and lose its flavor over time, so it is best to use it as soon as possible.
Can You Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze lime juice. This is a great way to store lime juice for extended periods, so you don’t have to worry about it going bad.
To freeze lime juice, pour it into an air-tight container and place it in the freezer. Once frozen, it should keep for up to 6 months.
“If life gives you limes, make margaritas.”– Jimmy Buffett, Singer
This is a great way to preserve lime juice’s tart, citrusy flavor, while ensuring it stays fresh and flavorful for your next recipe.
How To Preserve Lime Juice Without Refrigeration
To preserve lime juice without refrigeration, the juice can be heated to a temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit and then poured into sterilized jars and sealed with lids.
The jars should then be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
The juice can last for several months in this way, but for best results, it should be used within a few weeks.
Can It Be Left At Room Temperature?
Yes, fresh lime juice  can be left at room temperature. However, storing it in the refrigerator is best to preserve its freshness and flavor.
The lime juice’s acidity will help slow down the growth of any bacteria or microbes that may be present.
If left at room temperature, the lime juice should be consumed within a few hours to ensure its safety.
Tips On How To Store Fresh Lime Juice
- Keep it in a tightly sealed container.
- Store it in the refrigerator.
- Please ensure the container you store is clean and free from other food or liquid.
- Use an air-tight container or a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid to store lime juice.
- If you don’t plan on using the juice immediately, you can freeze it in a freezer-safe container.
- When freezing, make sure to leave some headspace in the container to allow for expansion.
- Thawed lime juice can be kept in the refrigerator for up to five days.
How To Tell If Fresh Lime Juice Is Bad
- Unpleasant smell: Fresh lime juice should have a pleasant, citrusy aroma. If it smells sour or off, it is likely bad.
- Change in color: Fresh lime juice should be bright, yellow-green. It has gone bad if it has turned darker or taken on a brownish hue.
- Cloudy appearance: Fresh lime juice should always be clear. It is no longer safe to use if it has taken on a cloudy or murky appearance.
Does store-bought lime juice need to be refrigerated after opening?
Yes, store-bought lime juice needs to be refrigerated after opening. This is because it is a perishable item and can spoil quickly if left at room temperature.
The lime juice can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, but it should be used within a few days for the best quality.
Additionally, store-bought lime juice should be stored in a tightly sealed container to prevent oxidation and the growth of bacteria.
How long does lime juice concentrate last?
Lime juice concentrate lasts up to 12 months when stored in a cool, dark place. Once opened, it should be refrigerated and used within 7-10 days.
Is brown lime juice bad?
No, brown lime juice is not bad. It is a different lime juice that combines brown sugar with regular lime juice. It can be used in recipes as a sweetener and for adding a unique flavor to dishes.
In conclusion, fresh lime juice can last for a day when stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
It can also be frozen for up to six months to extend its shelf life. Proper storage is key in preserving the flavor and freshness of your lime juice.
- Can You Use Metal Utensils On Le Creuset Cookware? Solved - January 31, 2023
- How To Cook Pasta Without A Stove Or Microwave: 4 Options - January 31, 2023
- Is Frozen Lemon Juice As Good As Fresh? Explained (2023) - January 31, 2023