Last Updated on September 6, 2023 by Shari Mason
Swiss cheese has been a staple in many households for years. It’s a delicious addition to sandwiches, pasta dishes, and salads.
But how long does Swiss cheese last in the fridge? Let’s look at the shelf life of Swiss cheese, how to store it, and what to look for when checking for freshness.
With the right information, you’ll be able to make sure your Swiss cheese stays fresh and delicious for as long as possible.
How Long Is Swiss Cheese Good For In The Fridge?
Generally, Swiss cheese can last up to three to four weeks in the refrigerator if it’s kept in its original packaging.
Once the cheese is opened, it should be consumed within five to seven days. To ensure the best quality, store the cheese in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic.
Additionally, please limit the number of times it is exposed to air, as this can cause the cheese to dry out and become less flavorful.
It’s important to check the cheese periodically to ensure it hasn’t gone bad. It should be discarded if it has an off smell or a slimy texture.
Can You Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze Swiss cheese. However, it is important to note that it may lose some of its texture and flavor when thawed.
To prevent this, wrap the cheese tightly in plastic, foil, or freezer paper before placing it in the freezer. This will help to keep the cheese fresh and flavorful.
Additionally, it is best to use the cheese within two to three months of freezing it. When freezing Swiss cheese, it is important to remember that it may have a slightly different texture when thawed.
To ensure that the cheese does not become too dry, it is best to slice or shred it before freezing. This will help the cheese to retain its flavor and moisture.
Additionally, it is important to thaw the cheese slowly in the refrigerator to prevent it from becoming too soggy. With proper care, Swiss cheese can be successfully frozen and enjoyed even after it has been thawed.
Does Swiss Cheese Smell Bad?
No, Swiss cheese  does not smell bad. It has a distinct aroma that many people find pleasant and nutty.
Swiss cheese is made from milk, cultures, and rennet, and when this combination is combined, it creates a unique and delicious smell.
“She was so full of holes now, she was like a Swiss cheese.”– Danielle Steel, Author
While it may not be the most popular cheese, it is certainly one of the most iconic and appreciated.
Telltale Signs That It Has Gone Bad
- Mold/fungus growing on the cheese: If you see any fuzzy white or green patches on your Swiss cheese, it has gone bad and should be thrown out.
- Odor: Swiss cheese should have a mild, nutty smell. If your cheese has a sour, ammonia-like odor, it has gone bad.
- Texture: Swiss cheese should be firm and slightly springy to the touch. If it feels slimy or mushy, it has gone bad.
- Color: Swiss cheese should be a pale yellow color. If it has turned dark yellow or green, it has gone bad. But how long will vegan cheese last?
Tips On How To Store Swiss Cheese
- Store Swiss cheese in a cool, dry place. It should be kept away from moisture and humidity.
- Wrap the cheese tightly in plastic wrap or foil. This will help to keep the cheese from drying out.
- Place the cheese in an airtight container or bag. This will help to keep the cheese from absorbing odors from other foods in the refrigerator.
- Make sure to label the cheese with the date it was purchased so you know when it will be time to use it.
- Never freeze Swiss cheese, as this will affect the texture and flavor of the cheese.
- Swiss cheese can last up to four weeks in the refrigerator.
How long does sliced swiss cheese last?
Sliced Swiss cheese can last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator when stored properly in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic.
Can you eat Swiss cheese past the expiration date?
Although Swiss cheese can be consumed past its expiration date, it is not recommended.
As with any cheese, it can become contaminated with bacteria over time, and eating expired Swiss cheese can lead to food poisoning.
What does mold on Swiss cheese look like?
Mold on Swiss cheese typically appears as green, blue, or grey spots.
How long does unopened Swiss cheese last?
Unopened Swiss cheese can be kept in the fridge for up to 6 months before opening.
If stored properly  in an airtight container, Swiss cheese can last up to 4 weeks in the fridge. It can also be frozen for up to 6 months and will remain flavorful and delicious when thawed.
Swiss cheese is also very easy to incorporate into various recipes, making it a great addition to any menu.
- Do You Have to Boil Sweet Potatoes Before Baking? Answered - September 19, 2023
- Can You Reuse Pasta Sauce Jars for Canning? Safety Tips - September 19, 2023
- Can You Cook Steak in Coconut Oil? Culinary Techniques (2023) - September 19, 2023