Last Updated on September 19, 2023 by Shari Mason
Chimichurri is a traditional Argentinean condiment from fresh herbs, garlic, and oil. It is often used as a marinade or a sauce for grilled meats, as well as a topping for salads, potatoes, and other dishes.
I find this condiment to have a strong, tangy flavor that’s perfect in the kitchen.
But how long does chimichurri last in the fridge? Let’s find out.
How Long Is Chimichurri Good For In The Fridge?
Chimichurri  can last in the refrigerator for one to two weeks as long as it’s stored properly.
To maximize its shelf life, it should be refrigerated immediately after making and kept away from direct sunlight and heat.
“Chimichurri, a zesty tango of flavors, has its own shelf life in the fridge. It dances its best for a few weeks, so use it while the party’s still going!”– Eat Pallet Restaurant & Food Advice
It’s important to note that the flavor of chimichurri will begin to diminish after about two weeks; however, if it is stored in the freezer, it can last for up to three months.
To thaw it out, place it in the refrigerator overnight, and it will be ready to use the next day.
- How Long Does Salad Last In The Fridge?
- How Long Do Cooked Mushrooms Last In The Fridge?
- How Long Does Cod Last In The Fridge?
Can It Be Left At Room Temperature?
Yes, chimichurri can be left at room temperature. This is because it is a condiment made of mostly oil and vinegar. The acidity in the vinegar acts as a preservative, allowing it to stay fresh at room temperature for up to a week.
However, storing it in an airtight container away from direct sunlight is important to ensure the best shelf life. Additionally, it should be refrigerated after opening to ensure it stays fresh.
Is Chimichurri Better The Next Day?
As chimichurri sits in the refrigerator, garlic, parsley, and oregano flavors have time to meld together and infuse the olive oil . This flavor infusion creates a more rounded, complex flavor than when the sauce was first made.
“ Black pepper is necessary to absorb the key antioxidants in most spices and foods, including turmeric, so get a pepper grinder and fill it with Tellicherry peppercorns.”– Steven Gundry, American Physician
Due to the acidity of the vinegar and lemon juice, the flavors stay fresh and vibrant without becoming overly acidic. The next day, the sauce is much thicker due to the oil solidifying and the flavors more concentrated.
This creates a delicious condiment perfect for dipping, spreading, and marinating. Chimichurri is a great way to add a punch of flavor to any dish and is even better the next day.
Signs That Chimichurri Might Be Bad
- Unpleasant odor – If the chimichurri smells off or sour, it is likely that it has gone bad and should be discarded.
- Unusual color – If the chimichurri has changed from its original bright green hue, it could be a sign that the sauce has gone bad.
- Texture changes – If the chimichurri has become thicker or thinner than usual, it could signify that it has spoiled.
- Separated ingredients – If the ingredients in the chimichurri have separated, it could be a sign that the sauce has gone bad.
Tips On How To Store Chimichurri
- Refrigerate: Store your chimichurri in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: You can also freeze your chimichurri in an airtight container for up to six months.
- Label: Always label your containers with the date you made the chimichurri so you know how long it has been stored.
- Add Oil: If you are refrigerating your chimichurri, add a little extra oil to the top to help preserve it.
- Use Within A Week: Chimichurri should be used within a week of being made. The flavor will start to fade after that.
Should you refrigerate chimichurri?
It is best to refrigerate chimichurri and use it within a week for the best flavor and texture.
What is the best way to store chimichurri?
Chimichurri should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. It can also be frozen for longer storage. Make sure to place a layer of plastic wrap directly on top of the chimichurri before putting the lid on the container to ensure it stays fresh.
What makes chimichurri bitter?
Chimichurri can be bitter due to vinegar and lemon juice. The acidity of these ingredients can give the sauce a bitter flavor. Other ingredients in chimichurri, such as garlic and red pepper flakes, can also contribute to a bitter taste.
How healthy is chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a healthy condiment. It is typically made with fresh herbs, garlic, and olive oil. It is low in calories, fat, and sodium and is a good source of vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation in the body.
Chimichurri can last up to 1-2 weeks when stored in the fridge. It is important to keep the sauce covered and to check it regularly for spoilage.
If you are not planning to use the chimichurri right away, it is best to store it in an airtight container in the freezer, which can last up to 3 months.
With proper storage, you can enjoy the delicious flavors of chimichurri for weeks or months.
- How to Freeze Green Beans Without Blanching: Quick & Easy - December 1, 2023
- How to Can Green Beans Without a Pressure Cooker: Full Guide - December 1, 2023
- How to Make KFC Mashed Potatoes: Recreate the Fast-Food Favorite - December 1, 2023