Last Updated on June 18, 2023 by Shari Mason
As a lover of Mexican cuisine, I can tell you that birria is one of the most delicious and comforting dishes out there.
But as with any food, you must know how to store it properly to make it last.
So, how long does birria last in the fridge? Let’s find out.
How Long Is Birria Good For In The Fridge?
Birria  is a delicious and hearty Mexican stew that can be enjoyed for several meals. From my experience, birria can last up to four days in the fridge if you store it properly.
Place it in an airtight container and refrigerate it promptly after cooking.
This will help prevent harmful bacteria’s growth and keep the birria fresh. Additionally, be sure to reheat it thoroughly before consuming it and discard it if it appears or smells off.
With these tips, you can enjoy your birria for several meals without worrying about food safety.
Can You Freeze Birria?
Yes, you can freeze berries for later use. If you have leftover birria that you won’t be consumed within four days, it’s best to freeze it to preserve its quality and flavor.
Allow the birria to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer bag. Label it with the date and place it in the freezer.
“ Cinco de Mayo has come to represent a celebration of the contributions that Mexican Americans and all Hispanics have made to America.”– Joe Baca, Former United States Representative
It can be frozen for up to three months. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it overnight in the fridge or use the defrost setting on your microwave.
Once it’s thawed, reheat it thoroughly before consuming it.
5 Signs That Birria Has Gone Bad
- Foul or off odor: One of the most apparent signs that birria has gone bad is if it has a foul or off odor. If it smells sour, rancid, or moldy, it’s best to discard it.
- Slimy texture: Another sign that birria has spoiled is if it has a slimy or slippery texture. This can indicate bacterial growth and is not safe to eat.
- Mold growth: If you notice mold growth on the surface of the birria, it’s important to throw it out immediately. Mold  can be dangerous to consume and can cause food poisoning.
- Discoloration: If the color of the birria has changed or it has dark spots, it may have gone bad. Fresh birria should be a rich reddish-brown color so that any discoloration can be a sign of spoilage.
- Bubbling or fizzing: If the birria is bubbling or fizzing, it’s a sign that bacteria are growing and are unsafe to consume.
“Like a fine wine, birria only gets better with age…but only up to four days in the fridge.”Eat Pallet Restaurant & Food Advice
Tips On How To Store Birria
- Use an airtight container: When storing birria in the fridge, use an airtight container to keep it fresh and prevent exposure to air, which can cause spoilage.
- Refrigerate promptly: After cooking, allow the birria to cool to room temperature before placing it in the fridge. Prompt refrigeration helps to prevent the growth of bacteria and other harmful microorganisms.
- Store in the coldest part of the fridge: Birria should be stored in the coldest part of the fridge, which is usually the back or bottom shelf. This will help to keep it at a safe temperature and prevent spoilage.
- Freeze for long-term storage: If you won’t consume the birria within four days, it’s best to freeze it for later use. Allow it to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer bag. Label it with the date and freeze it for up to three months.
- Reheat thoroughly: When reheating birria, heat it thoroughly to a temperature of 165°F to kill any bacteria that may have grown during storage.
How long does birria marinade last?
Birria marinade can last up to one week in the fridge if stored properly in an airtight container.
Why does my birria taste sour?
If your birria tastes sour, it could indicate that it has spoiled. Birria should have a savory and slightly spicy flavor, but a sour taste can signify bacterial growth or fermentation. This can happen if the birria is not stored correctly or left at room temperature for too long.
If your birria tastes sour, it’s best to discard it to avoid any potential health risks.
Birria is a delicious and hearty Mexican stew that can be enjoyed for several meals, but it’s essential to store it properly to prevent spoilage and ensure it stays fresh.
It can last up to four days in the fridge if you store it properly in an airtight container and refrigerate it promptly after cooking. A
Additionally, you can freeze birria for later use, storing it for up to three months in the freezer. When reheating birria, heat it thoroughly to a temperature of 165°F to kill any bacteria that may have grown during storage.
Following these tips, you can safely store and enjoy your birria for several meals without worrying about food safety.
- 12 Best Pizzas at Pizza Hut: Tasted & Ranked (2023 Updated) - September 29, 2023
- 12 Best Store-Bought Steak Seasoning Options: Tried & Ranked - September 29, 2023
- 12 Best Store-Bought Chicken Seasoning Options (2023) - September 29, 2023