Last Updated on May 16, 2023 by Shari Mason
Mussels are a delicious seafood option that can be cooked in various ways. Whether you buy them fresh from a fish counter or in a can, mussels can add a delicious flavor to many dishes.
One important question for those looking to cook with mussels is how long can you keep mussels in the fridge?
Our team will look at the proper storage techniques for mussels and provide some tips for keeping them fresh.
How Long Are Mussels Good For In The Fridge?
Mussels can last 2 to 5 days in the refrigerator as long as it’s properly stored. Mussels should be stored in a sealed bag or container to keep them as fresh as possible.
When preparing mussels, it is important to check each one for freshness. Fresh mussels should have a mild ocean smell and be firm, with a slightly shiny shell.
Discard any mussels that have cracked shells or have a strong odor. Mussels should be cooked within a day of purchasing them as they will not last longer than that in the refrigerator.
For best results, cook mussels within a few hours of purchase.
Can You Freeze Mussels?
Yes, you can freeze mussels.
They can be frozen cooked or raw, but it is best to freeze them raw.
When freezing raw mussels, it is important to keep them in a sealed container or bag and to place them in the freezer as soon as possible.
When ready to use them, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and cook them immediately. For the best quality, frozen mussels should be cooked within two to three months.
How Long Will They Last When Left Out?
Mussels are a highly perishable seafood item, so it is not recommended to leave them out of the refrigerator for too long. If left out of the refrigerator at room temperature, mussels will last for two hours.
“I take oysters, clams, and mussels every two weeks during late fall, winter, and early spring. I particularly like to go out when there is a below-average ebb tide because that exposes clamming grounds and oysters that are usually underwater.”Jim Himes, Author
After that, they should be discarded to avoid food poisoning. Refrigeration is the best way to extend the shelf life of mussels and should be done as soon as possible after purchasing them.
How To Store Live Mussels In Fridge
To store live mussels  in the fridge, ensure they are placed in a shallow bowl or container and covered with a damp cloth or paper towels.
Place the container on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator and change the water daily while ensuring the cloth or paper towels remain damp.
Additionally, make sure to use the mussels within three days of purchasing them.
How To Keep Them Alive In Water
To keep mussels alive in the water, first, you need to keep them in a cool and dark place. Ensure the water you use is not too cold but just cool enough to keep the mussels alive.
Change the water every few days to ensure the mussels get enough oxygen. Add a few tablespoons of salt to the water to keep the mussels healthy and to provide them with the necessary nutrients.
Finally, ensure the water is aerated and keep the mussels away from direct sunlight.
Signs That Mussels Have Gone Bad
- The shells are open and do not close when tapped.
- The shells are cracked or broken.
- The mussels have a strong fishy smell.
- The mussels are slimy or sticky to the touch.
- The mussels have discolored or darkened shells.
- The mussels have been kept out of the refrigerator for too long.
Tips On How To Store Mussels
- Always buy mussels from a reputable source with a good reputation for selling fresh seafood.
- Rinse the mussels with cold water before storing them.
- Place the mussels in a bowl or container and cover them with a damp cloth or paper towel.
- Place the mussels in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Do not store mussels in direct contact with ice or water, as this will cause them to spoil quickly.
- If you plan on freezing the mussels, it is best to do so within 24 hours of purchase.
- Place the mussels in a freezer-safe container or bag and seal them tightly.
- Label the container or bag with the date it was purchased.
- Frozen mussels can be safely stored in the freezer for up to six months.
How long do mussels last after cooking?
Cooked mussels can last up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator if stored properly. They should be kept in a sealed container or resealable bag.
How long can mussels live out of water?
Mussels can live out of water for up to 24 hours, but their survival rate decreases the longer they are out of water.
In conclusion, it is best to keep mussels in the refrigerator for two to five days.
If you plan to store them for longer, it is best to freeze them. When stored correctly, mussels can last for several weeks in the freezer.
It is also important to ensure that the mussels are stored in a sealed container or bag to prevent spoilage .
- How to Dehydrate Green Beans: Preserve Your Beans the Right Way - December 5, 2023
- How to Reheat Green Bean Casserole: Complete Guide - December 5, 2023
- How to Make Frozen Green Beans Taste Good: Flavorful Tips - December 5, 2023