Last Updated on January 15, 2023 by Shari Mason
Beef stew is a delicious and hearty meal that can be enjoyed all year round. It is also a great way to use leftovers and a great standby dish for busy weeknights.
But how long can beef stew stay in the fridge before it needs to be thrown out? Keep reading to find out.
How Long Are Beef Stews Good For In The Fridge?
A beef stew can last up to four days in the refrigerator if stored properly. To ensure the safety of your beef stew and keep it free from spoilage, it’s important to store it properly in the refrigerator.
When storing a beef stew , use an airtight container and place it in the coldest part of the refrigerator. This will help it stay fresh for the longest amount of time.
If you plan on eating the stew within a few days, you can also wrap it in plastic or a sealed container. The stew should be reheated to at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit before eating to ensure it is safe to consume.
Can You Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze beef stew. It’s a great way to save leftovers and enjoy them later. To freeze beef stew, it’s important to cool it to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container.
Once the stew is in the container, it should be sealed and labeled with the set date. The stew can be thawed in the refrigerator overnight or the microwave when ready to eat.
Once thawed, the stew can be reheated on the stovetop or microwave.
How Long Can Beef Stew Be Left Out?
The beef stew should not be left at room temperature for two hours. If the temperature is above 90°F, the stew should not be out for longer than one hour.
“Life is like a stew, you have to stir it frequently, or all the scum rises to the top.”– Tom Robbins, American Novelist
If the stew has been left out for more than two hours, it should be discarded to avoid potential food-borne illnesses.
Signs That Beef Stew Might Have Gone Bad
- Unusual smell: If your beef stew has an off-putting smell, it has likely gone bad and should be discarded.
- Discoloration: If the beef stew has changed color or has mold  growing, it has gone bad and should be discarded.
- Slimy texture: If the beef stew has a slimy texture, it has gone bad and should be discarded.
- Taste: If the beef stew has an off-taste, it has gone bad and should be discarded.
Tips On How To Extend the Shelf Life Of Beef Stew
- Use fresh ingredients: Ensure the ingredients you use to make your beef stew are fresh. This will help ensure that the stew stays safe to eat for longer.
- Store in an airtight container: Store your beef stew in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This will help keep it fresh and safe to eat for longer.
- Freeze: If you want to extend the shelf life of your beef stew, you can freeze it. Ensure it is stored in an airtight container and used within three months for the best results.
- Reheat: Reheat your beef stew before serving. Reheating will help kill any bacteria that may have grown on the food.
- Use a slow cooker: If you want to extend the shelf life of your beef stew, use a slow cooker. This will help ensure that the stew stays safe to eat for longer.
How do you thaw frozen beef stew?
The best way to thaw frozen beef stew is to place it in the refrigerator overnight. This will allow for the stew to thaw slowly and evenly.
You can also place the frozen beef stew in a sealed bag and submerge it in a bowl of cold water. Change the water every 30 minutes until the stew is thawed.
How long can you keep raw stew meat in the fridge?
Raw stew meat can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
How long can chicken stew stay in the fridge?
The homemade chicken stew should be eaten within 3-4 days of cooking and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Beef stew can last a maximum of four days in the fridge before it spoils.
Always store beef stew in an airtight container and consume it within the timeframe before the food becomes unsafe to eat.
To ensure you always have a delicious, safe beef stew, store it properly and consume it within the timeframe.
If you’re not sure if the beef stew is still safe to eat, it’s best to discard it and make a new batch.
Following these guidelines, you can enjoy delicious beef stew without worrying about food safety.
- Can You Use Metal Utensils On Le Creuset Cookware? Solved - January 31, 2023
- How To Cook Pasta Without A Stove Or Microwave: 4 Options - January 31, 2023
- Is Frozen Lemon Juice As Good As Fresh? Explained (2023) - January 31, 2023