Last Updated on August 28, 2023 by Shari Mason
Amidst the shelves of baked goods, the enigmatic “sell by” date often catches my eye. Regarding food safety, it’s important to know how long food is safe to eat after its sell-by date.
Bagels are a popular breakfast and snack food, but how long are they good after their sell-by date? Keep reading to find out.
How Long Are Bagels Good For After Sell-By Date?
Bagels are usually good for up to one week after the sell-by date, provided they have been stored properly.
The sell-by date on a bagel  is usually found on the packaging and indicates how long the product is expected to remain fresh and safe to consume.
“Beyond the sell-by’s whisper, bagels hold their own story of freshness, a sensory tale where dates and taste intertwine.”– Eat Pallet Restaurant & Food Advice
Store bagels in an airtight container or plastic bag in the refrigerator, which will help to extend their shelf-life. If bagels are left out at room temperature, they spoil quickly.
To test if a bagel is still good, smell it and feel it. If it smells off or feels slimy, it has likely gone bad and should be discarded. If the bagel looks and smells normal, cut it open and check for signs of mold.
If there is any visible mold, discard the bagel, as it is no longer safe to consume. If all looks good, the bagel is still good to eat.
- What Does Best By, Sell By, And Use By Date Mean?
- Can You Use Heavy Whipping Cream After Expiration Date?
- Can You Eat Bread Past The Best By Date?
Can You Freeze Them?
Yes, you can freeze bagels. Freezing bagels is an easy way to keep them fresh for up to three months.
To freeze bagels, wrap them individually in plastic wrap or place them in a resealable plastic bag.
When ready to enjoy them, thaw the bagels in the refrigerator overnight or pop them in the toaster or oven for a few minutes. This ensures you have a delicious, fresh bagel whenever you’re craving one.
How Long Do Bagels Last In The Fridge?
Bagels will last for about 7-10 days in the fridge. Storing them in an airtight container or bag will help them stay fresh for longer.
Check the expiration date on the packaging before consuming the bagels, and discard any that have gone bad.
“I’ve said this before, and I say it again. Bagels can be an enormous power for good or for evil. It is up to us to decide how we will use them.”– Daniel Pinkwater, American Author
Additionally, it is important to keep the bagels away from strong-smelling foods or beverages to avoid spoiling them.
What Happens If You Eat Expired Bagels?
If you eat expired bagels, you may experience some gastrointestinal discomfort, including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Additionally, depending on the time the bagels have expired, they may contain bacteria, such as mold and yeast , which can cause food poisoning.
Eating expired bagels can sometimes lead to more serious health problems like infection. It’s best to avoid eating expired bagels altogether to minimize the risk of any health issues.
How To Tell If A Bagel Is Expired
- Visible Mold: Mold on a bagel is a sure sign of spoilage. It’ll look like small, white, fuzzy spots.
- Unpleasant Odor: Spoiled bagels will have a sour or stale odor.
- Change in Texture: If a bagel sits too long, it will have a dry, hard, and stiff texture.
- Change in Color: Spoiled bagels will also change in color. For example, a bagel that was once golden brown may start to appear grayish or yellowish.
- Discolored Seeds: The bagel seeds may also turn dark or black, indicating spoilage.
Tips On How To Extend the Shelf Life Of Bagels
- Store your bagels in an airtight container or bag: This will help keep them fresh and prevent them from drying out.
- Refrigerate your bagels: Storing bagels in the refrigerator will help to extend their shelf life.
- Freeze your bagels: Freezing them will help them stay fresh for up to three months.
- Cut your bagels in half: This will help them remain moist and extend their shelf life.
- Use a bread-keeper: This will help to keep the bagels fresh and extend their shelf life.
- Toast your bagels: Toasting your bagels will help them to stay fresh and help them to last longer.
What does mold on a bagel look like?
Mold on a bagel typically looks like fuzzy green or gray patches. It may also appear as a white, cottony substance.
Can you vacuum seal bagels?
Yes, you can vacuum seal bagels. Vacuum-sealing bagels help to preserve their freshness and flavor.
How long do bagels last at room temperature?
Bagels can last up to three days at room temperature before they start to spoil. If the bagels have been cut, they may spoil sooner.
Overall, it is advisable to consume bagels before the sell-by date.
While the bagels may still be edible one week after the sell-by date, their flavor and texture may not be as fresh as when they were first purchased.
- How to Freeze Green Beans Without Blanching: Quick & Easy - December 1, 2023
- How to Can Green Beans Without a Pressure Cooker: Full Guide - December 1, 2023
- How to Make KFC Mashed Potatoes: Recreate the Fast-Food Favorite - December 1, 2023