Last Updated on June 26, 2023 by Shari Mason
If you’re planning a special occasion and want to ensure that your guests are impressed by the food, beef tenderloin is a great choice.
We’ve all heard about the importance of buying beef meat right before you want to cook it, but how far in advance can you buy beef tenderloin? Read on.
How Far Ahead of Time Can You Buy Beef Tenderloin?
You can buy your beef tenderloin at least three days in advance and store it properly in the fridge in a ziplock bag or an airtight container.
If it stays refrigerated for three to five days, keeping it fresh should be no problem until its next use.
“Food is not rational. Food is culture, habit, craving and identity.”– Jonathan Safran Foer, American Novelist
The best way to buy beef tenderloin is from a butcher shop or specialty grocery store; they will have higher-quality meats that are better stored than those available at regular supermarkets.
Should You Store It In The Fridge?
Yes, you should store the beef tenderloin in the fridge. Ensure that you keep it in a sealed container before putting it in the fridge to avoid contamination.
Keeping raw meat in the pantry can speed up spoilage because of the air contaminants that build up bacterial growth in the meat. 
As with most meat, keeping it on the bottom shelf of your refrigerator and away from other foods with strong odors or flavors is best.
How Long Can Beef Tenderloin Stay In The Fridge?
Beef tenderloin can stay good for up to 5 days in the refrigerator and can be safely eaten as soon as it’s thawed.
If you’ve got leftovers or want to save some for later, wrap them tightly with plastic wrap and store them in an airtight container or bag.
Can You Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze the beef tenderloin. Just wrap the steak tightly in plastic, then place it in a zip-lock bag. Label with the date and store at 0 degrees Fahrenheit for up to four months.
For thawing, place your frozen beef tenderloin in the refrigerator overnight for 24 hours.
You can also use cold water: Submerge it completely in cold water and change out the water every 30 minutes until thawed completely (this will take about 2 hours).
How To Store Beef Tenderloin In The Fridge?
To store the beef tenderloin in the fridge, wrap it in plastic, then place it in a sealed bag. This will help keep any juices from leaking out and making a mess on your fridge shelves.
To prevent spoilage, store your beef tenderloin on a tray so any drips can be caught and thrown away easily.
Keep it on the bottom shelf of your refrigerator, where temperatures tend to be the coolest.
How Long Can You Keep It Before Cooking?
You can store it in the fridge for a few days before cooking. However, if you’re planning on freezing it, your best bet is immediately after purchasing the meat.
It will last up to four months when properly frozen and stored at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
Be sure not to forget about your frozen beef tenderloin once you take it out of its packaging; thawing usually takes about 24 hours per 4 pounds and 2 hours if submerged in water.
Tips & Tricks When Buying In Advance
- Buy beef tenderloin a few days in advance of when you plan on eating it.
- Buy from a butcher shop or specialty grocery store to ensure it is of high quality.
- Store your beef tenderloin in the fridge or freezer immediately after purchasing.
- Keep it at a lower temperature inside the fridge or 0° F in the freezer.
- Make sure its packaging is airtight and moisture free so that mold doesn’t grow on any part of your food item.
Does vacuum-sealed beef tenderloin need to be refrigerated?
Yes, vacuum-sealed tenderloin must be refrigerated to prevent bacterial growth caused by high temperatures.
How long will vacuum-sealed beef tenderloin last in the fridge?
Vacuum-sealed beef tenderloin could last up to 10 days in the fridge without unpleasant effects in texture and taste when cooked.
Does vacuum-packed beef tenderloin last longer?
Yes, vacuum-packed beef tenderloin lasts longer in the fridge because it reduces the contamination from air exposure and keeps the meat from drying out.
Generally, the best way to buy beef tenderloin in advance is within the week of your plan on cooking it because of some factors that need to be considered, including:
- It could last up to five days in the fridge and ten days when vacuum-sealed.
- It should be stored at the lowest temperature inside your fridge to keep it safe.
- It should be properly wrapped and inside the container to prevent contamination.
- It should be kept in the freezer if you don’t plan on cooking it very soon.
- How to Freeze Green Beans Without Blanching: Quick & Easy - December 1, 2023
- How to Can Green Beans Without a Pressure Cooker: Full Guide - December 1, 2023
- How to Make KFC Mashed Potatoes: Recreate the Fast-Food Favorite - December 1, 2023