Last Updated on January 13, 2023 by Shari Mason
If you’re a busy person with a hectic schedule, you know the value of an appliance that can help you save time in the kitchen.
A crockpot is a great option for busy people and can be used in many different ways. But what if you need to store it in the refrigerator? Can you put a crockpot in the fridge? Let’s find out.
Is It Safe To Put A Crockpot In The Fridge?
Yes, you can safely put a crockpot in the fridge. This is a common practice for storing leftovers, as the slow cooker will help keep them at a safe temperature.
However, there are some important safety precautions to remember if you put your crockpot in the fridge.
First, you should ensure that the crockpot is completely cooled down before putting it in the fridge. If the crockpot  is still warm, it can raise the fridge’s temperature, leading to food spoilage and food-borne illnesses.
It would be best if you also were sure to wrap up the food inside the crockpot before putting it in the fridge so that it doesn’t come into contact with other foods and potentially contaminate them.
Finally, if you store the crockpot in the fridge for more than a few days, it is a good idea to empty the contents and give the crockpot a thorough wash and dry before putting it back in the fridge.
Pros & Cons Of Putting It In The Fridge
- Putting a crockpot in the fridge can help keep food fresher longer by reducing the risk of food spoiling.
- It can also help preserve food flavors and aromas by reducing the risk of oxidation.
- Crockpots can be easily stored in the fridge, freeing up counter and cabinet space.
- Putting a crockpot in the fridge can cause condensation and humidity to build up, making the food soggy or watery.
- It can also be difficult to fit the crockpot into the fridge, particularly if it is already full.
- The heat from the crockpot can affect the temperature of the fridge and other items stored in it, making food spoil faster.
How To Store Crockpot Leftovers
To store Crockpot leftovers, first cool the food to room temperature in the pot. Then transfer the food to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
“In our family, a whole ham on the bone would be bought three days before Christmas, and then stored in a pillow case and left in the fridge so anyone can take the huge thing out and slice it.”– John Torode, Australian-British Celebrity Chef
If you are storing for longer than four days, it is best to freeze the food in an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid. Make sure to label the container with the date and contents so you can refer to it later.
Can You Put Hot Food In The Fridge?
No. Food should be cooled to room temperature before being placed in the fridge, as putting hot food in the fridge can raise the fridge’s temperature, causing other foods to spoil.
When putting leftover food in the fridge, cover it with a lid or wrap it in plastic to prevent cross-contamination  with other items in the fridge.
Additionally, ensure to only place the food in shallow containers so that it cools down quickly and evenly.
Can You Reheat Stew In A Crockpot?
Yes, you can reheat stew in a crockpot. Add the stew to the crockpot, cover it, and keep the heat low. Allow the stew to heat up slowly over several hours until it reaches the desired temperature.
Stir occasionally to ensure even heating. This method is great for evenly heating a large quantity of stew while keeping the moisture and flavor intact.
Tips For Using Your Crockpot Inside The Fridge
- Make sure to use a crockpot designed to be safe for use in the refrigerator. Some crockpots are not suitable for use in the refrigerator, so make sure to check before use.
- Place the crockpot on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator for easy access and to avoid any potential spills.
- Place a layer of plastic wrap or aluminum foil on top of the crockpot to create a barrier between it and the food in the refrigerator.
- Make sure to leave a few inches of air space between the crockpot and the walls of the refrigerator. This will help to ensure that the crockpot doesn’t get too hot while in use.
- Check the crockpot’s temperature periodically to ensure it is not getting too hot. If it is, remove it from the refrigerator and allow it to cool before using it again.
- Clean the crockpot after use to ensure that any food particles or residue don’t contaminate the food in the refrigerator.
How long can you leave cooked food in a slow cooker?
Cooked food can typically be left in a slow cooker for up to 4 hours on the low or 2 hours on the high setting. If you want to keep the food warm for longer than that, it’s best to turn the slow cooker off and place a clean towel over the top, which will help to maintain the food’s temperature.
Can you reheat food that has been cooked in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can reheat food cooked in a slow cooker. However, it is best to reheat the food on the stove or in the oven to prevent it from drying.
Can you put already-cooked meat in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can put already-cooked meat in a slow cooker. If the meat is fully cooked, it is safe to put it in the slow cooker. However, it is important to note that the slow cooker will not heat the food any further, so it will not improve the texture or flavor of the meat.
A crockpot can be stored in the fridge, but it is important to ensure that it is tightly sealed.
Additionally, the best way to store a crockpot is to keep it in a cool, dry place and away from direct sunlight.
Following these guidelines ensures that your crockpot remains in good condition and can be used for many years.
- Can You Use Metal Utensils On Le Creuset Cookware? Solved - January 31, 2023
- How To Cook Pasta Without A Stove Or Microwave: 4 Options - January 31, 2023
- Is Frozen Lemon Juice As Good As Fresh? Explained (2023) - January 31, 2023