Last Updated on May 25, 2023 by Shari Mason
When it comes to nacho fries, we’re talking serious crunch and epic cheesy goodness.
But for all my gluten-conscious amigos out there: Are Taco Bell nacho fries gluten-free?
With my taste buds at the ready, I dug in to give you the inside scoop on this cheesy adventure.
Are Nacho Fries At Taco Bell Gluten-Free?
Unfortunately, Nacho Fries at Taco Bell is not gluten-free. The seasoning used on the fries contains wheat flour, a common gluten  source. This makes Nacho Fries off-limits for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
However, Taco Bell does offer several menu items that are gluten-free or can be modified to be gluten-free, including the Power Menu Bowl, the Chicken Soft Taco, the Black Bean Burrito, and the Steak Burrito Supreme.
“In New York I pretty much live in diners – I order French Fries, Diet Coke floats and lots of coffee.”– Lana Del Rey, American Singer-Songwriter
If you have a gluten intolerance, it’s essential to inform the staff of your dietary restrictions and ask them to prepare your food separately to avoid cross-contamination.
Read: Is Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing Gluten-Free?
Are There Any Gluten-Free Options At Taco Bell?
- Power Menu Bowl: This bowl contains seasoned beef, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, and pico de gallo and can be made gluten-free by omitting the seasoned rice and replacing it with extra black beans.
- Chicken Soft Taco: This taco features marinated grilled chicken, lettuce, and cheddar cheese and can be made gluten-free by requesting it in a lettuce wrap instead of a flour tortilla.
- Black Bean Burrito: This vegetarian burrito contains black beans, seasoned rice, lettuce, and cheddar cheese and can be made gluten-free by omitting the flour tortilla and ordering it in a bowl or lettuce wrap.
- Steak Burrito Supreme: This burrito includes seasoned beef, seasoned rice, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and guacamole and can be made gluten-free by omitting the flour tortilla and ordering it in a bowl or lettuce wrap.
- Crunchy Taco: This taco features seasoned beef, lettuce, and cheddar cheese and can be made gluten-free by requesting it in a hard shell instead of a soft flour tortilla.
What Should You Do If You Accidentally Eat Gluten?
- Stay hydrated: Gluten exposure can cause diarrhea, leading to dehydration. Be sure to drink plenty of water and other fluids to stay hydrated.
- Rest: Your body may feel tired or weak after consuming gluten. Rest as much as possible and avoid strenuous activities.
- Manage symptoms: Over-the-counter medications such as antacids and anti-diarrheal agents may help alleviate abdominal pain, bloating, and diarrhea. Consult with a healthcare professional if unsure which medications are safe to take.
- Monitor symptoms: Keep track of any symptoms you experience and how long they last. If symptoms persist or worsen, it may indicate a more severe reaction, and you should seek medical attention.
- Communicate with your healthcare provider: If you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, it’s essential to inform your healthcare provider of any gluten exposure you experience. They can help you manage any symptoms and monitor your condition over time.
How To Make Gluten-Free Nacho Fries At Home
- Slice potatoes into thin strips and toss them with oil and gluten-free seasoning blends. You can use store-bought blends or make your own by mixing spices such as chili powder, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Place the seasoned potatoes  on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven at 425°F for 20-25 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve the fries with your favorite toppings, such as shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, and sour cream.
Some Tips For Eating Gluten-Free At Fast Food Restaurants
- Research the menu: Before you go to a fast food restaurant, check their menu online for gluten-free options. Many restaurants now have specific gluten-free menus or labels to help customers identify safe choices.
- Inform the staff: When you order, inform them of your gluten intolerance and ask them to prepare your food separately to avoid cross-contamination.
- Avoid fried foods: Many fried foods, such as french fries and chicken nuggets, are coated in flour, making them unsafe for people with gluten intolerance. Stick to whole, unprocessed foods whenever possible.
- Choose salad options carefully: Some salads may contain croutons or other gluten-containing ingredients. Read the menu carefully and ask for any modifications to make the salad gluten-free.
- Bring your snacks or meal replacements: If no gluten-free options are available, bring your snacks or meal replacements to ensure you have something to eat.
- Be aware of sauces and condiments: Some sauces and condiments may contain gluten, so be sure to check the ingredient list or ask the staff for more information.
Are Taco Bell Chips flour or corn?
Taco Bell chips are made of corn.
Are Nacho Fries real fries?
Yes, Nacho Fries at Taco Bell is made from real potatoes and cut and fried like traditional french fries. However, they are seasoned with a unique blend of spices that sets them apart from regular fries.
What oil does Taco Bell fry in?
Taco Bell uses a vegetable oil blend to fry their food, including Nacho Fries. The specific blend and brand of oil may vary by location and supplier.
What is Taco Bell’s secret ingredient?
Taco Bell’s “secret ingredient” is its seasoned beef, a blend of spices and seasonings that give its beef a distinct and recognizable flavor.
While the exact recipe for the seasoning blend is a closely guarded secret, it is known to contain ingredients such as onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and cumin.
The seasoned beef is a critical component in many of Taco Bell’s menu items, including their tacos, burritos, and nachos.
If you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, you have to be aware that Nacho Fries at Taco Bell is not gluten-free due to the seasoning used on the fries.
However, Taco Bell offers several menu items that are gluten-free or can be modified to be gluten-free, such as the Power Menu Bowl, the Chicken Soft Taco, and the Black Bean Burrito.
It’s essential to inform the staff of your dietary restrictions and ask them to prepare your food separately to avoid any risk of cross-contamination.
- Are Chick-Fil-A Grilled Nuggets Healthy? Resolved (2023) - May 28, 2023
- Are Xxtra Hot Cheetos Discontinued? Answered (2023) - May 28, 2023
- Why Are Wheat Thins Banned In Other Countries? Resolved - May 28, 2023